While things are quiet I'd like to make some points about comments to this blog. Comments are moderated. I reject as many as I publish, for various reasons.
- they contain offensive language (and it's my decision as to what is offensive)
- they are abusive towards individuals or groups
- they make allegations which may or may not be true, but I am in no position to verify them
- they are illiterate. I don't require perfect English, but some people obviously don't read what they type.
- they add nothing to the discussion
There is a continuing problem with people who don't acquire a pseudonym and simply call themselves "Anonymous". It can get very confusing. I don't want to insist that you get a pseudonym, but there's no reason why you shouldn't. There is no way of identifying you.
If you don't want a comment published, but just want to tell me something, say so at the beginning of the post. Bear in mind that I can't edit a comment; I can only reject or publish it. So I can't take out anything and publish the rest.
If you want to reply to another comment, use the "reply" button under that comment.
I use Google alerts (not the same thing as Google search), so I'm usually aware of the latest press and internet pieces. If you draw my attention to something in the news, I may well be aware of it already, or I may choose not to publish it because I want to do a post about it. Don't take offence if I don't publish your comment.
I will never publish email addresses. If you want to contact me directly you can send a comment including your email address. But I will only reply if I think you have a bona fide reason for wanting to make contact.
Finally, I am grateful to everyone who takes the trouble to comment on posts.